Local Amenities & Services
This is the village closest to the recreational amenity, with the Cloonarkin Walk passing through the village centre. Cloonfad is situated on a crossroads served by two roads – one National Route the N83 and the Regional Road R327 with the Cloonfad River running under the N83.
The village offers the following services:
Graune Pet Farm
This is the ideal location for family fun days catering for all ages. The farm itself has a wide range of animals to view while the indoor playcentre provides hours of fun for the kids.
Just West of Granlahan and visible from Slieve Dart, the Hill of Kiltullagh is the site of an Ancient Church built on the elevated landscape by St. Patrick who acquired the site from a local chief according to historical records.
The town has a long tradition of trout fishing in the local Lake O’Flynn. Walking trails and a cycle route boost the visitors’ enjoyment of this region.
East of Cloonfad and just 5 km away from the Clogher Walking Routes is the town of Baíle Liam (Williamstown) where a Bog Walk links the village to the surrounding countryside. This walk is 4 km in length and coupled with Templetogher Mill on the Glenamaddy Road is a much-appreciated local amenity.
This North Galway town is located just 4 km South of the Slieve Dart landscape and is steeped in history. Dunmore Castle stands on the banks of the Sinking River. This impressive structure was a Norman Fortress built over 600 years ago. A trip around the surrounding countryside takes in the many historical sites on the local Heritage Trail. Of great significance is the Augustinian Abbey on Barrack Street dating back to the 15th Century and currently being renovated.
There are approximately 14 sites of interest including a Patrician Well at Cappagh close to Slieve Dart, Corcoran’s Mill at Flaskagh and a Dolmen at Garrafrauns just 3 km from Dunmore.
A Bog Walk leading out of the town has also been developed with a Golf Club located at the Demesne in the Town Centre.
Situated 10 km North of Cloonfad, Ballyhaunis has a well-maintained Golf Course on the N83 road on route to Knock Airport.
St Mary’s Augustinian Friary known as The Abbey was founded in 1348. The Abbey was damaged by fire in 1608 and in 1649 was attacked by Cromwellian soldiers. This Abbey has been the second oldest place of worship in County Mayo after Ballintubber Abbey.
* National Climate Statistics from Met.ie